“The Ambulance Made Two Trips” is a 1960 science fiction short story by Murray Leinster. It is about a detective who discovers a man with unbelievably good luck.
Ugh, technology moves so fast now-a-days. Don’t get me wrong, I am all for new tech and gadgets, but it sometimes seems like new stuff comes out too fast – you know, before the last version has really had a chance to get going. I do find this fascinating, though. In fact, I am currently working on my Masters thesis which is about why some people might adopt new technology before others. Is there some benefit to being an early adopter? It can be hard to tell. But the guy in this story has definitely found a benefit to being an early adopter, that’s for sure! And, it is refreshing to see a new, science-fictiony, technology that I haven’t seen before too.
Detective Sergeant Fitzgerald has a problem – someone keeps giving him, and the other police officers, exquisite gifts. (I know, terrible problem huh!) Although he always takes his “gifts” to the orphanage, the other officers’ wives are making it harder and harder to look the other way when it comes to the illegal activities of Big Jake – the suspected gift giver and local crime boss. So when Fitzgerald comes across a small business owner who seems to be immune to Big Jake’s persuasion tactics, he becomes determined to find out what is really going on. Now if he could just believe the real explanation, and his eyes, then the world might make sense again!
My Two Cents
- Story: – Although it was a bit far-fetched, it was still very cool coming across an idea that I hadn’t seen before!
- Writing: – I liked the writing style, which let the reader slowly piece together what was happening.
- Fun Factor: – A very fun read that appeals to one’s sense of wonder as well as justice!
Where To Find The Ambulance Made Two Trips
- This short story first appeared in the April 1960 issue of Analog Science Fact and Fiction.
- You can read, or download, “The Ambulance Made Two Trips” for free online at Project Gutenberg.
- It is also included in the collection Anthology of Sci-Fi V25, the Pulp Writers – Murray Leinster.
Craving More SF Stories Like This One?
If you liked “The Ambulance Made Two Trips” then you might also enjoy “A Matter of Importance” which is also by Murray Leinster – about a couple of inter-stellar policemen who are investigating the disappearance of an inter-planetary spaceship.