I am starting something new here on BestScienceFictionStories.com: a weekly news and link post. The idea for this came from the old SF Signal site – they would do a daily link post, and it was really cool. I miss that, so I decided to start my own. My link post, however, will focus on news and links that are related to science fiction short stories and authors of such. This will include news items, articles, links to free stories and podcasts, reviews, interesting web sites and what not. Feel free to let me know what you think, and we’ll see how it all goes!
- George R.R. Martin Sponsoring New Worldbuilder Scholarship for Clarion West Writers Workshop.
- Malka Older will be reading at Galactic Philadelphia on February 13th.
- Grand Master Ursula K. Le Guin, 88, died January 22, 2018 in Portland OR.
- Margaret Atwood, Junot Díaz, and George R.R. Martin will “lend their voices and passion” and “share their personal stories and connections to their favorite titles” as featured authors on PBS’s The Great American Read.
- Infinity Plus is publishing a new collection: The Spacetime Pit Plus Two by Stephen Baxter and Eric Brown.
- Revealing The Expert System’s Brother: A New Sci-Fi Space Novella by Adrian Tchaikovsky
- Swedish writer Karin Tidbeck’s short fiction collection, Jagannath, is getting a new edition from Vintage.
- 2017 Locus Recommended Reading List – includes a lot of short fiction and anthologies.
- Sleeper by Jo Walton
- Obscura by Yoon Ha Lee (text and audio)
- A Snow, A Flood, A Fire by Jamie Berrout (text and audio)
- A World to Die For by Tobias S. Buckell (text and audio)
- Say it Low, then Loud by Osahon Ize-Iyamu (text and audio)
- Sour Milk Girls by Erin Roberts (text and audio)
- A Cigarette Burn In Your Memory by Bo Balder (text and audio)
- The Lighthouse Girl by Bao Shu (text and audio)
- Her Smoke Rose Up Forever by James Tiptree Jr. (text and audio)
- For I Have Lain Me Down on the Stone of Loneliness and I’ll Not Be Back Again by Michael Swanwick (text and audio)
- This week from 365 Tomorrows:
- This week from Daily Science Fiction:
- StarShipSofa episode #522 features The Armor Embrace by Doug C. Souza
- Escape Pod #612 features The Sixes, the Wisdom, and the Wasp by E J Delaney (also includes written version)
- A Short History of South Asian Speculative Fiction: Part I
- SF in Ukraine
- Why Science Fiction Detective Stories Aren’t Impossible
Reviews From Around the Web
- Liz Bourke reviews Kelly Robson’s Gods, Monsters and the Lucky Peach
- Rich Horton Reviews Short Fiction for fall 2017 from Asimov’s, Clarkesworld, Lightspeed, Beneath Ceaseless Skies and Tor.com
- Special Effects From Hell: Mira Grant’s “Rolling in the Deep”
- Russell Letson Reviews Star-Begotten: A Life Lived in Science Fiction by James Gunn
- Gardner Dozois Reviews Short Fiction – including works from Roger Zelazny and Ursula K. Le Guin
- Rachel Swirsky Reviews Madame Zero by Sarah Hall
- This week from SFF Reviews: