“Revolt!” is a 1958 science fiction short story by Christopher Anvil. It is about some advanced mining suits that cause quite an uproar between competing government agencies!
Colonel Crandall is the military man in charge of the planet Cygnes VI. His day starts off OK when the head of Planetary Development asks permission to deploy several new mechanical suits on the surface. While the Colonel thinks a few of the suits ought to be held in reserve (just in case anything goes wrong), his counterpart is vehemently opposed to that idea – on account of losing out on a great deal of precious ore. Well, what starts out as a disagreement quickly escalates into a full fledged incident which involves the top brass from both organizations as well as the media. Meanwhile, unbeknownst to either of these men, the suits seem to have an agenda of their own! Can two opposing forces work together for the greater good? Probably, since large amounts of money are at stake!
My Two Cents
- Story: – I enjoyed the idea of the two agencies overseeing development of a planet. I also really liked the delGrange mechanical suits and thought they were the coolest thing about this story!
- Writing: – The writing seemed to be good enough. There were a few instances of dialogue that seemed a little out-dated… but perhaps that is because the story is over 50 years old!
- Fun Factor: – I thought the story was enjoyable enough, but the back-and-forth bickering between the two agencies got a little bit old.
Where To Find Revolt!
- This short story first appeared in the April 1958 edition of Astounding Science Fiction.
- You can read “Revolt!” for free online at Baen e-books.
- It is also included in the Christopher Anvil story collection Interstellar Patrol.
Craving More SF Stories Like This One?
If you enjoyed “Revolt!” then you might also like “Alien Offer” by Al Sevcik – about an alien fleet which offers to evacuate the world’s children after learning of Earth’s impending doom.