"The True Story of Merganther’s Run" is a 2011 science fiction novelette by David D. Levine. It is about a group of scientists and engineers who dismantle Jupiter to harvest its raw natural resources.
Similar to Another Awesome Story
This story very much reminded me of Alastair Reynolds’ novel Redemption Ark – in which the malignant inhibitors take apart planets in the solar system and use the materials to build a gigantic weapon. Chock full of great ideas it is a book which I highly recommend!
Harken is one of those prospector types – you know, someone who risks every thing for a chance to make it big. So as soon as he hears about the success of the Marscracker Project he heads out to make his fortune. It is on Mars that he meets the brilliant Merganther, who convinces him and others that the raw material in Jupiter can be mined and used to build habitats for Earth’s overcrowded masses. Well, it takes several years, but after loads of hard work the team finally makes it work. They all become super rich, but they forgot about one thing: what happens when too much mass is siphoned away from the giant planet? The results ain’t pretty, I can tell you that much!
Some Interesting Tidbits
- Word count: 8,138 (13 pages)
- Did you know that David D. Levine began as a writer of technical articles? Yep. You can learn more about this excellent science fiction author on Wikipedia.
- Special thanks to Regan at SF Signal for pointing out this great story!
Where To Find The True Story of Merganther’s Run
- This short story was first published in the anthology End of an Aeon.
- You can read "The True Story of Merganther’s Run" for free online at the Baen eBooks web site.
Craving More SF Stories Like This One?
If you liked "The True Story of Merganther’s Run" then you may enjoy “Galactic Stress” also by David Levine – about an astronomer who has an accident while doing research inside a virtual model of the universe.