"Jumpers" is a 2004 science fiction novelette by Mary Rosenblum. It is about a rich young man who is trying to find visitors from other universes.
It seems like Joaquin’s peculiar research is foiled at every turn – and not by the “bad guys” either, but someone who is much closer to him. Oh well, no problem, when Joaquin is kidnapped for real by squatters on a specialized plantation it finally give him the chance to look for Jumpers – those elusive essences from other universes. The problem is that Joaquin has a powerful father who comes looking for him before he can finish his sensitive research. Oh, and the fact that Joaquin is falling for one of his strange captors as well. Watch out – it’s a double threat!
Some Interesting Tidbits
- Word count: 8,539 (16 pages)
- Did you know that Mary Rosenblum also writes mystery novels? Yep. You can learn more about this versatile author at Wikipedia.
- Special thanks to Free SF Reader for pointing out this story.
Where To Find Jumpers
- This short story was first published online in July 2004 at Sci Fiction.
- You can read an archived version of "Jumpers" at the old Sci Fiction web site.
Craving More SF Stories Like This One?
If you liked "Jumpers" then you might also enjoy “Ej-Es” by Nancy Kress – about a MedCorps member who desperately wants to help the survivors of a destructive plague on a planet at the edge of the galaxy.