"The Valley of Spiders" is a 1903 speculative fiction short story by H.G. Wells. It is about three men who discover a barren valley full of creepy crawlies!
Do You Have Arachnophobia?
Are you afraid of spiders? If you are then don’t feel bad because I have an older brother who is terrified of them too! I must confess that after reading this story I became a little jumpy at the sight of them. It is a great read though – especially if you already dislike the little buggers!
The leader, the gaunt man and the little man are chasing 3 fugitives on horseback when they happen on a great, gray valley. Yeah, it is a little bit mysterious as well as creepy – but that doesn’t stop the from charging into it. It is when they are past the point of no return that they start to notice weird things – like the mad dog that completely ignores them, and the increasingly jittery horses. But once they see the strange haze-balls blowing down the valley they start to get concerned… but will it be too little too late? Hmm – yeah, probably!
Some Interesting Tidbits
- Word count: 4,153 (7 pages)
- Special thanks to the members of the Classic Science Fiction group – whose engaging discussion of this story made me want to read it!
- Did you know that H.G. Wells is often referred to as one of the “fathers of science fiction?” Yep. You can learn more about this classic science fiction author on Wikipedia.
Where To Find The Valley of Spiders
- This short story was can be read for free online at The Literature Network.
- "The Valley of Spiders" is also included in the anthology Great Tales of Horror & the Supernatural.
Craving More SF Stories Like This One?
If you liked "The Valley of Spiders" then you may also enjoy “The Monkey’s Paw” by W.W. Jacobs – about a family who discovers a magical talisman that grants 3 wishes.