"Keep Your Shape" is a 1953 science fiction short story by Robert Sheckley. It is about some aliens who try to invade a nuclear plant on Earth.
Pid the Grom is under some intense pressure to succeed. He is the leader of the 21st expedition sent to Earth to try and plant an invasion device inside one of its nuclear facilities. Even worse is the fact that he has no idea how or why the previous expeditions failed! They were just never heard from again, and that makes Pid a little bit nervous about himself and his crew. As they arrive on Earth everything looks peaceful enough, and that should make the objective easy to accomplish, right? Nope, the Groms are about to learn a very hard lesson about life on the 3rd planet from the Sun. Mwa-ha-ha-ha!
Some Juicy Tidbits About This Story
- Word count: 5,766 (14 pages)
- Did you know that Robert Sheckley was once a pretzel salesman? Yep. Read more about this amazing author at Wikipedia.
- Special thanks to QuasarDragon for recommending this great story!
Where To Find Keep Your Shape
- This short story first appeared in the November 1953 edition of Galaxy Science Fiction.
- You can read a free online version of "Keep Your Shape" at Project Gutenberg.
- You can also find this story in the Sheckley anthology Untouched by Human Hands.
Craving More SF Stories Like This One?
If you liked "Keep Your Shape" then you may also enjoy “Reborn Again” – about a man whose whole-body transplant operation is botched by a morally indecisive lab technician, also by Robert Sheckley.