"Ej-Es" is a 2003 science fiction short story by Nancy Kress. It is about a MedCorps member who desperately wants to help the survivors of a destructive plague on a planet at the edge of the galaxy.
Mia joined the MedCorps a long time ago, and for a variety of reasons. Now, near the end of her life, the Corps is investigating a beautiful planet where a deadly plague destroyed all the humans over 350 years ago. Well, not *all* the people. The team discovers that there are some survivors, but they have a peculiar way of life. As Mia tries to help one native girl, she learns that well people aren’t always the happiest people.
Some Juicy Tidbits About This Story
- Word count: 6,848 (26 pages)
- "Ej-Es" was nominated for the 2004 Locus Poll Award for Best Short Story.
- Special thanks to Free SF Reader for pointing out this great story.
Where To Find Ej-Es
- This story originally appeared in the anthology Stars: Original Stories Based on the Songs of Janis Ian.
- You can read (or listen to) "Ej-Es" for free online at Lightspeed Magazine.
Craving More SF Stories Like This One?
If you liked "Ej-Es" then you may also enjoy “The Ugly Little Boy” by Isaac Asimov – about a small Neanderthal boy who is brought into the future for scientific experimentation.