“Gorilla My Dreams” is a 2009 science fiction novelette by David Brin. It is about an uplifted dolphin and chimp who must make a treacherous journey to ensure the safety of humankind.
More Uplift Universe
If you are a fan of David Brin’s Uplift series, then you’ll love this short story which takes place shortly after the events in Startide Rising, has several of the same alien species and is similar in tone to that story.
Non-spoiler Summary in a Nutshell
Dierdre the chimp and Tf’Sheet the dolphin work at the Uplift Arena on Titan, where they are trying to help determine which species should be uplifted next. But before they can make their decision a cadre of powerful alien warships enter the solar system and embark on a vicious battle for the right to exterminate mankind. Now their boss and his “broccoli” advisor think that another station on Titan might have an object which will help the humans, but to get it requires traversing a giant sea of gasoline. Any guesses on who will be chosen to make the run?
My Two Cents…
- The aliens in this story are totally cool! No stupid “almost human” aliens here!
- “Gorilla My Dreams” had some very funny subtle humor! Brin took jabs at all kinds of things – including himself.
- Even though it had several funny parts, the ending was a little bit too silly for my taste.
- Page Count: 18
- Word Count: 9,228
- Did you know that the 1997 movie The Postman was based on one of David Brin’s novels? Yep. You can learn more about this excellent science fiction author on his web site.
- If you liked this story be sure to check out Brin’s 1983 Hugo and Nebula award winning novel Startide Rising, which is set in the same universe as “Gorilla My Dreams”.
Where You Can Find Gorilla My Dreams:
- This short story was originally published in the June 2009 edition of Jim Baen’s Universe.
- You can read “Gorilla My Dreams” online for free at Webscription.
Craving More Science Fiction Short Stories?
If you liked “Gorilla My Dreams” then you might enjoy The Crystal Spheres also by David Brin – about a man who travels to a distant star system after learning that the inhabitants there have broken out of their crystal shell.