“The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” is a 1922 speculative fiction short story by F. Scott Fitzgerald. It is about a strange child who is born as an old man and then ages backwards throughout his life.
If I Only Knew Then What I Know Now
I have often wished that my current knowledge would have been available to me in my youth – life would have been much different, I can tell you that! I’m not really sure things would have been better – just different. Anyway, here is a great little story that shows how one man dealt with that exact situation, but in a strange sort of way.
Non-spoiler Summary in a Nutshell
In the high society of 1860’s Baltimore, Mr. and Mrs. Roger Button are given the shock of their life when their newborn son turns out to be a 70 year old man! It isn’t easy explaining his age to their friends and family, but the difficulties of raising an old man don’t stop there. Clothes, canes, hair dye and even friends all come with a unique set of challenges for their son Benjamin, but strangest of all is the fact that he is growing younger each day! It has often been said that youth is wasted on the young, but this story proves that may not always be the case.
Interesting Tidbits About This Story:
- Page Count: 21
- Word Count: 9,257
- Did you know that F. Scott Fitzgerald was friends with Ernest Hemingway? Yep. You can learn more about the life of this famous American author at Wikipedia.
Where You Can Find The Curious Case of Benjamin Button:
- This story was originally published in the May 27, 1922 edition of Collier’s magazine.
- You can read “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” online for free at many different web sites.
- This story is also included in F. Scott Fitzgerald’s famous anthology Tales of the Jazz Age.
Benjamin Button Is A Movie Too!
- No doubt you have heard of (or seen) the popular 2008 movie starring Brad Pitt. If not then here is the trailer: