“On a Clear Day You Can See All the Way to Conspiracy” is a 2009 science fiction short story by Desmond Warzel. It is about a Cleveland radio show which discusses alien politics after strange jet trails are seen over Lake Erie.
There’s Always Lots of Weird Stuff on Talk Radio
Here is another cool and fun story I read for this year’s Million Writers Award. I’ll admit that I am not a fan of talk radio shows (I just think there are better things to do with life) but I have always thought they would make neat short story settings. It seems to have worked out pretty good – in this story anyway.
Non-spoiler Summary in a Nutshell
Mike Colavito is a radio host with an attitude – and on this particular day he is on a rampage. So it isn’t surprising that he brushes off callers who report some jet trails that are so strange they are snarling traffic. But as more people call in with accounts of what is actually happening Mike starts to lighten up. Eventually 3 callers tell Mike such extravagant tales that desperate measures are taken to protect the information they shared.
My Two Cents…
- I love good conspiracy theories – especially when they are the best kind: ones that involve aliens!
- The radio show format used to tell this story worked very well – and it was fun to read.
- Mike Colavito was a great character! He was totally convincing as the outspoken radio host. He even had me cringing in places… just like real radio hosts do!
Interesting Tidbits About This Story:
- Page Count: 11
- Word Count: 3,280
- Did you know that the first part of this story is based on an actual radio show? Yep. Be sure to read the author’s blurb at the end of the story to see what inspired Desmond Warzel to write this cool little piece.
- “On a Clear Day You Can See All the Way to Conspiracy” won 1st place in the 7th Annual SFReader Short Story Contest.
Where You Can Find On a Clear Day You Can See All the Way to Conspiracy:
- This story was originally published in 2009 on the web site SFReader.com – where you can still read it for free.
Craving More Stories?
If you liked “On a Clear Day You Can See All the Way to Conspiracy” then you might also enjoy Copperhead by Gene Wolfe – a story about a very powerful remote control held by the President of the United States.