Well, it has been one year since my first post on this website. Yep, way back on December 19th, 2007 I started out by posting a review of Cory Doctorow’s story “Craphound.” At the time I wasn’t sure how long I would last just posting reviews of short science fiction pieces, but I have been pleasantly surprised at how things have turned out. In the past year I have read over 130 great science fiction stories, I have conversed with many cool people, and I have even made enough money to pay for my web hosting service! Thanks to all of you who follow my site and read the stuff I write – without you I would have given up long ago.
I often get asked about which stories are the best, so I decided to make a list of my favorite ones that I’ve read in the past year. For the most part I prefer newer stories by more recent authors, but there are good ones from all eras and by a variety of different authors. Anyway, here they are – in no particular order:
- Story of Your Life by Ted Chiang
- Scherzo with Tyrannosaur by Michael Swanwick
- Through Thy Bounty by Lucy A. Snyder
- The Fluted Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi
- Old MacDonald Had a Farm by Mike Resnick
- The Game of Rat and Dragon by Cordwainer Smith
- A Dry, Quiet War by Tony Daniel
- The Clockwork Atom Bomb by Dominic Green
- The Faery Handbag by Kelly Link
- Henry James, This One’s For You by Jack McDevitt
- Tk’tk’tk by David D. Levine
- Kin by Bruce McAllister
Along the way I have also met some very nice people who run some amazing web sites and blogs. I know I point them out all the time, but they are good enough for me to point out once again!
- Tinkoo at Variety SF – some very in-depth reviews of science fiction stories and books.
- John at SF Signal – loads of funny stuff, plus he often writes about SF short stories.
- Blue Tyson at Free SF Reader – thousands of links to (and ratings of) free SF stories
- Dave at QuasarDragon – many links to free stories, comics, RPGs and various other cool things.
- Jason Sanford – just a nice guy who has written some very good stories – oh and a cool blog too.
- James W. Harris – who runs a very interesting blog, and has lots of experience with science fiction.
- All of you! – Yep, the many people who have emailed me and left comments have made this blog loads of fun! Thanks!
So hopefully I can make it another year. I am finishing up my last semester for a computer science degree – plus I work full time and have a family too, so sometimes I don’t write as often as I like but I always get back to reviewing short science fiction. Here is what I hope to accomplish in the coming year:
- One or two reviews a week until I finish up my CS degree
- Ask more bloggers and authors what their favorite sf stories are
- Get some good guest reviews
Anyway, I hope you’re all enjoying this site. If you have any suggestions for how to make it better, or just want to chat, then by all means contact me – and feel free to leave a comment wishing me a happy one year anniversary!